Thursday, May 01, 2008

So here's the thing.

Procrastination takes on a life of it's own. And when it comes to my blog it becomes this sort of cyber still life where events are frozen in time and it'll always be August 7th, or July 23rd if you want it to be.

Obviously life does not get a pause button as well. So while my blog has stayed frozen in time, time has goose stepped on whether I liked it or not. And unfortunately most of my thoughts have been rooted in the day to day grind and not blog fodder. So... yeah.

My company appears to be going down the tubes. You can read about it here:
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=120959946472928400
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1209527715247440.xml&coll=7
http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/04/county_scrambles_to_cover_as_m.html

Looks like we'll be open tomorrow though, and hopefully there will be paychecks. Make no mistake about it, work has been a holy nightmare over the last month, and on a consistant downhill trend for months before that.

And yet despite the hurricane, I'm as cool as a cucumber. Why, you may ask. Aside from my typically stoic nature, I'm fairly detached from the proceedings, because I came to the conclusion a few months back that mental health was not a good career field for me (an opinion that has obviously been vindicated through recent events). Too dependant on political whim or vulnerable to mismanagment, too fiscally unviable; not so much my pay, as the industry as a whole. So I looked at what I liked, what I wanted, and I applied to graduate school.

And I got in.

This fall I will be attending Marylhurst University and getting my Master's in teaching. Like Aud, I'm going to be a high school teacher. Not too surprising... we were working in the same field when we got together and now that similarity will continue. I'm excited for a new beginning and a career in teaching. So like the cockroach, with disaster falling all around me, I have found a place to scurry and forge on. Huzzah! So there it is, faithful reader. My life has been a rollercoaster not unlike this post. Still, while I could definitely be less stressed, I couldn't be happier. Like Bob Marley sang, "Every little thing's gonna be alright!" More on the how's and why's later.

3 comments:

Tamara said...

You are freaking brilliant minds. Honestly. And how nice to go along with your smart and sassy wife.

:)

I'm so glad I'm friends with you -- even if it were just for bragging rights that I actually know you. I'm pretty lucky.

Emily said...

Hey, I'm glad I'm friends with you toooo! You will make such a smart and sassy pair.

Good luck and enjoy - A whole new chapter begins...

Skye said...

Congratulations on getting into grad school! And I'm glad you guys will be sticking around a little. Because it seemed like there was always talk of moving elsewhere - although I guess not with Aud's job now. Hm. Whatever. I don't know what I'm talking about. Anyway, happy times.