Saturday, May 28, 2005

Becoming Effortless

I will begin with an illustration from the writing of Chuang-tse:

On his way back from the K'un-lun Mountains, the Yellow Emperor lost the dark pearl of Tao. He sent Knowledge to find it, but Knowledge was unable to understand it. He sent Distant Vision, but Distant Vision was unable to see it. He sent Eloquence, but Eloquence was unable to describe it.

Finally, he sent Empty Mind, and Empty Mind came back with the pearl.

Only in keeping the mind open and accepting things as they are, and not what I want to make of them, have I really made much progress in life, at least lately. I have found that I tend to find my way more when I act more effortlessly. What does it mean? The funny part is, I have better luck understanding it when I let it come to me.

No comments: