Tuesday, May 31, 2005

A desire for peace.

I find myself remembering that my birthday is next week and I'm getting older. Well, I'm getting older every day (and yes, even dying a little every day, as a friend of mine says). Lately I have had time to reflect on how I am, how I was, and hope of what I may become. In some ways I have progressed and come a long way from where I was, and in others I am no further than I was two years ago. I remember when I was younger I would hope for graduation, for acceptance, for love... and as another year draws to a close, I find myself wishing for peace of mind, of heart, and perhaps of destiny above other more frivalous things. Another dear friend introduced me to this verse by Swinburne;

From too much love of living,
From hope and fear set free,
We thank with brief thanksgiving
Whatever gods may be
That no life lives for ever;
That dead men rise up never;
That even the weariest river
Winds somewhere safe to sea.

I must admit I wrote this whole entry so I could stare at that verse some more. There's something about it that captures my mind at the moment.

No comments: