Friday, November 23, 2007

Where's the opt out button?

Sometimes I think that people like to make a big deal out of the holidays just so they’ll feel better about themselves and the fact that they don’t do much the other 11 months of the year. I’m sure I’m just cynical and grouchy, but the only thing I actually like about the season is the frequent gatherings of family and friends. I wish we did things like this more often or consistently, but we don’t. So I like the holidays because it’s the time we do those things… but I don’t like much else about them.

<>Being in social work, it’s weird that this is the one month of the year I don’t have to worry about the basic needs of my clients. There’s tons of food, winter clothing, winter shelter, and even gifts. Most people know that the holidays are difficult for people without social supports or people with emotional or seasonal disorders, but for a lot of my clients it’s actually a better time of year because it’s the one time of year people give a crap about helping other people. I wish people would pick a different random month of the year to go work at a soup kitchen or give food to a food bank, because it seems to be either feast or famine… literally.

4 comments:

Stargirl said...

I like the holidays because for me, it's a return to traditions that make me feel like I'm a part of something (like fruitcake). It IS sad that those things aren't regulars in my routine. And I wish I had another excuse to make fruitcake at other times of the year.

Jason and Emily said...

So you're half Scrooge, half Jesus.

Iron Chef Boyardee said...

I wonder how Scroogey Jesus would be.

Jason and Emily said...

I've been thinking quite a bit about you lately. I was thinking about that cafe where we first became friends. I was quite forward I must say. I'm thinking about it because of my attempts to make new guy friends here, and I'm wondering if they'll get confused about my motives of pure and beautiful connection, cause they might think I just want to hook up. Iron Chef, I love our pure and beautiful connection.