Monday, August 01, 2005

Real Life, Real Problems

I think one reason I haven't written as much in this lately is because I've been exploring newer forms of artistic creation. Another is that there's a LOT of real life things going on right now with the move and the love life... and I promised I wouldn't make this blog a life travelogue.

For now, I'm recinding that. It's for an odd reason why, though.

I have sleep apnea. Well, I'm not officially diagnosed, but I'm in the middle of having a bunch of tests done and waiting to schedule a sleep study. For the uninformed, sleep apnea is s sleeping disorder In my case, it's been getting worse.

"People with sleep apnea stop breathing for 10 to 30 seconds at a time while they are sleeping. These short stops in breathing can happen up to 400 times every night! If you have sleep apnea, the periods of not breathing may make you wake up from deep sleep. If you are waking up all night long, you aren't getting enough rest from your sleep.

There are two kinds of sleep apnea: obstructive apnea and central apnea. Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common type. Nine out of 10 people with sleep apnea have this type of apnea. If you have obstructive apnea, something is blocking the passage or windpipe (called the trachea) that brings air into your body. You keep trying to breathe, but you can't get enough air because of the blockage. Your windpipe might be blocked by your tongue, tonsils or uvula (the little piece of flesh that hangs down in the back of your throat). It might also be blocked by a large amount of fatty tissue in the throat or even by relaxed throat muscle"

It's 6:15 am now. I haven't been able to sleep for more than a half an hour at a go tonight. I keep nodding off at the keyboard. I can't keep living this way. I'm so tired all the TIME. Anyway, I'm gonna crash for a BIT.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lot of football players suffer from that as well. It became more publicized when it was found out that was what killed Reggie White. It's definately a serious issue. With football players their necks are huge from either being very strong, fat or a combination of both. The special I saw said to reduce the neck size would greatly relieve the pressure causing the blockage of air. Good luck.

Jason and Emily said...

oh...