Monday, January 23, 2006

Life or Something Like It.

I work, come home, spend time with the wife, and on the weekends we try to have a little adventure. I read, I think, and I play a bit. Sadly, I haven't blogged about it. My job makes me question my view of the world. This is not a bad thing. I like having a different sense of perspicacity. I ask myself questions I've never asked before, and I see things from a different view that I've never had to consider.

Things like:

When should a person be forgiven? I mean for doing truly awful things... The Doctrine & Covenants and Bible both say that there is no forgiveness in this world or the next for someone who commits murder... but I actually know some murderers now. Who am I to say they're not worthy of that? Where does mental illness come into play? Is there really such a limit to something like the atonement? The scriptures say yes but my heart doesn't seem to agree. I have no conclusion.

Are some people not worth the effort to help? I have a wide variety of clients who take their recovery and treatment to a varying degree of seriousness. Is it not more effective to spend more energy helping people that deserve it? But on the other hand, doesn't everyone deserve a chance... the same chance?

It may sound negative, but I like that I have a job that stretches and challenges me emotionally, professionally, educationally and mentally. My wife is glad that I work at a place that appreciates me, as opposed to a vampiric institution like Northwest Behavioral.

3 comments:

Emily said...

You have brought up a very important question that i have gone over many times. I am sure that mental illness is taken into account at the judgement. My mother was insane and also did some very bad things. and i guess only God can sort out the level of accountability that she truely has. on the other hand, my mother's mother was brutally beaten & stabbed to death last year by an intruder. I had just sent her a letter asking for stories & information about my mom and herself but she never had time to reply. That double loss cuts severly deep. i have no words for that. I have requested the death penalty at his trial and dont know how to not hate him. i try to ignor it all with as much patients & dignity as i can and just know that whatever God does with us is whatever we deserve.
And nobody on this earth can ever know ALL the factors that are involved.
We must learn to judge and deal with actions & words, not the soul behind them.

Jason and Emily said...

Hmmm, I like what Firefly shared. I don't intend to answer any of the questions you brought up except to say I believe in a fair God.

But I once more want to share that I believe in the questioning of Him and all things.

Thanks for sharing a slice of your days with us.

Skye said...

Actually, the scriptures say there is NOT a limit to the atonement. It is, as it says, "infinite." And by its very nature it is limitless, or else it doesn't work.

Scriptural references to murder are often translated incorrectly anyway. For example, "thou shalt not kill" is mistranslated and often misunderstood. Clearly the old hebrew law allows for some kinds of killing (capital punishment, war-time, accidental, etc). It is my feeling that Christ makes clear his requirement, and it is not perfection nor pennance. I believe those who have committed aggregious crimes have generally had aggregious crimes committed against them as well. And I believe our creator knows their hearts, and will welcome them home if they are ready for Him.