Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Hold fast enough to the Silence
And of the ten thousand things in the world
All can be worked on by you.
-Lao Tsu

I love me some peace and quiet. Which is admittedly strange since I'm a bit of a talker as well, an orator, if you will. Me, I think of myself as a bit of a storyteller (albeit a long winded one) and I like to paint my scenes with words. But I find I also have an appreciation for the opposite. I like to sit and get absorbed into something like a book or writing or surfing the net and just enjoy the sound of air around me. I can't study with music or the TV on. One of my most favorite things about snow is how it muffles the entire world.

Sometimes, when my wife and I argue, she will frustratingly exclaim, "WHAT DO YOU WANT?!?!?" And many times I just answer "Peace!" It doesn't seem to work. But like all too often, practicing peace tends to work better than asking for it.

3 comments:

Stargirl said...

Silence is the sleep that nourishes wisdom.

Francis Bacon

Emily said...

I love you friend

Skye said...

Funny. I am not a quiet-lover (although I do love the same thing about snow, I'd always prefer to have company with which to enjoy it).

Jared is usually the one asking me what I want. What I want is generally not something as high-minded as peace. I want stuff like attention and love and "my way." I guess love ain't so bad. I'm not all bad, see?