Tuesday, March 21, 2006

There's the rub.

So, here's the thing. Found out Monday that the state funding through the DOC had been cut, and our program is going bye bye as of the 31st of May. So my co workers and I are off to look for jobs. This cut is of questionable nature, the timing shady and dubious (mid contract). I wonder if we'll ever get the full story, but the easiest summation is that we were pawns in a career game move by one of the state CTS mental health directors. He thinks he can cut our program and get more for less money. He'll be surprised. State employees of my/our qualification level earn about $1000-1500 more a month. If they reduce staff, then quality will go down. The clients are of course caught in the middle... and unfortunately, I can't care about that now, I have a family to keep a roof over and food in front of.

I'm angry, of course. I love (loved) my job. I thought I was finally 100% on a career path moving in the right direction. I was doing something I really loved and being fed in a lot of different ways. Now, to further someone else's selfish ambitions, it's going away. Someone deserves to burn in hell for what they're doing to my family, to my co-worker's families, and the men we're charged to care for.

As for me, I have to go update my resume.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, you never know what the future may bring... and this may be an open door leading to great things.

paul said...

I'm so sorry James. I was thinking about you, Gage, and the men you serve all day today. I was so excited to be working with you guys, and although I love what I'm doing I was looking forward to a new adventure. All this happening was not the adventure I was hoping for. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Jason and Emily said...

My mouth was dropped the whole time I read this.

Oh man.

Ok, I don't think you need me to look on the bright side with you quite yet. (looks like that's stargirl's job!) I'll just say that it just pretty much stinks.

Tamara said...

Wow. That blows.
But I tell you what... losing jobs has been some of the best times of my life. So good riddance sketchy jobs. Onto better things!

Skye said...

Yikes! That IS a drag. At least Aud will be in school.

I'm sad that you're not going to be working there anymore. It made for really good conversation. I'm glad, though, that you did have some time there. And that I got to be your friend meanwhile.

Speaking of conversation, when are we gonna all get together again?

Blair said...

That sucks.
Looking for a job is one of my least favorite things to do. I think I would rather rip out my own spleen without making an incision first.
Now that I have a family, I can understand how that makes it a hundred times worse.
Good luck with the job hunting; we'll be praying for you.

Blair said...

That sucks.
Looking for a job has to be one of my least favorite things to do. I think I would rather have a major limb removed. Begging people to validate my existence and hard work and give me money has never appealed to me.
Now that I have a family, I can understand even more how that makes it ten times worse.
My criminal law class has opened my eyes even more to the importance of your work. That program being cut is a step in the wrong direction.
Good luck on job hunting; we'll be praying for you.

Jason and Emily said...

I guess my comment from a long time ago didn't make it on here?