Friday, November 03, 2006

Death to the travelogue!

I haven't been posting. My life in a nutshell:

Work, work work, wife wife wife, skunk, skunk, play play on computer, damn I wish I could have a cheeseburger, sleep.

There's stuff going on in and around it but I've become pretty mundane. Skye commented something the other day, "I really want you to be around when we're old farts to talk about the good times." I've always thought, what's so great about being old? I don't mean the whole life is over when you're 50 crap, but like... the tail end nursing home years... what's great about sitting in a room waiting for the nurse to bring the jello and wishing the grandkids would call? I suppose the sponge bathing could be sublime, but still. I think I'll start hoping for early onset dementia. One of the most mentally ill people I know is one of the happiest. He's never alone, and people are always happy to see him... in his head. We should all be so lucky. If it happens to me, y'all can be sitting around talking and I'll be sitting there singing a song to myself about daffodils that look like pudding pops or something.

The counter opinion in my head just now points out that this isn't too different from what I currently do in most social settings.

Sigh.

7 comments:

Stargirl said...

....or what you currently do in NONsocial settings, at home("Where's my sandwich?!). Don't worry, you probably won't grow old enough to be stuck in a home. I'll end your misery before that happens. ;)

Amberlynn said...

Dementia has not been a pleasant experience for my Grandmother at all. She bursts into tears when she can't remember her own children's names. It's heartbreaking for all of us. It is nice, however, for her to meet Jasper for the first time over and over again.

Jason and Emily said...

i was here.

Emily said...

I like it when people at least let it be known that they stopped by and read your post. You never know ya know......

I don't however like word verification. It's more of a pain in my butt right now then the labor is
:)

Iron Chef Boyardee said...

Yeah, but I hate the blog spammers even more.

Stargirl said...

I like the word verification, 'cause then I have fun trying to pronounce the fake words.

Skye said...

I read an article that reminded me of this post today:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/11/10/happiness.overview/index.html

The critical information in this article: "...the happiest age group is men 65 and older."

So... stick around, eh?