Sunday, September 26, 2004

Ju-On: The Grudge



"An evil curse and vengeful spirits seem to linger upon a house where the horrific murder of a woman and child took place and anyone who sets foot inside the house is marked for a terrifying haunting which will not rest. One by one, those who have been tainted by the house begin to die, and nowhere is safe." - imdb.com

This movie was made by the same crowd that made "Ringu" which was made stateside into a little movie called "The Ring". This may be excited afterglow, but this just might be the scariest movie I've ever seen. Yes, to my mind it was scarier than "The Shining". It cranked up the spooky suspense within the first 5 minutes and really didn't let up for the rest of the movie. Now I have to figure out how to find a good way to get the most recent ex to go see it before it's out of theaters, as the predecessor's adaptation is one of her favorite flicks. Seriousy, if you have a chance, go see this movie. Zan bruised my arm she was so scared. One of those nasty purple-blue-yellow bruises, too.

What was interesting is that they used a really wide variety of film and plot devices to get the audience reaction, instead of pushing the same button over and over like "What Lies Beneath" or "The 6th Sense". The plot has some holes, and since I speak Japanese I can pretty much tell you it's not a matter of translation... but I think part of the charm of the movie is the ambiguity that we don't know entirely why everything is happening, merely that when that little ghost kid shows up, someone's gonna buy the farm. Sadly, it looks like the American version is going to be starring Sarah Michelle Gellar, so I can't say that I have high hopes for it.

No comments: