Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Dead Like Me



On a whim this week as I was wandering through Fry's, I say this dvd packaging. I remembered hearing something about this show, so I picked it up, and on the back I could have swore I saw Mandy Patinkin in a picture on the back cover (turns out it WAS Mandy Patinkin, whom I worship, but I hate the Princess Bride... funny, eh?)

Dead Like Me takes a darkly comic look at mortality through the eyes of someone stuck between this life and the afterlife. "Bail bondsmen for the disembodied" is how Rube (Mandy Patinkin), the often exasperated Reaper foreman, explains it to disaffected 18-year-old George (short for Georgia) (Ellen Muth) after she’s vaporized by a falling toilet seat from the Mir space station and drafted into the ranks of the Reapers. It's now her job to take the souls of the doomed towards their final destination, not getting to actually go to the pearly gates herself. For a black comedy, this is actually pretty light and accessible. Patinkin is just awesome, and even though Muth whines and bitches like a teenager (which, I guess, she IS), she also is believable as someone being forced to discover who she is for the first time in her life. Highly recommended (and half the cost of 6 Feet Under... snoogans)

No comments: