Wednesday, April 21, 2004

And you may find yourself... Working in the Logistics department...

Today is payday. My first in a long time. I am pleased to be going liquid in the funds department. So before my celebratory coke-and-whores spree this evening, I think I will post a little story about work.

Imagine a warehouse with bins with every computer part imaginable, and to build a computer you have to go with carts and bins, and pull every single part that goes into making that computer, then wheel them into the next room where guys in bunny suits like at the end of E.T. build the computer. Now imagine the computer has robotic arms and platforms so it can build things, and is roughly the size of a few refrigerators and costs 3-7 million dollars, and the bins of parts making up the kits take up four or five 72" five shelf racks. That's what I do... and that's about as exciting as I can make it sound. One of my responsibilities is to receive in incoming parts, organize them, and then pull the parts needed to make up the kits.

So at this job, I like to be left alone so I can get stuff done. Yesterday we had a ton of boxes and things to receive. My bosses boss calls us over, gestures to the large amount there and says ( I kid you not) "We've got a heavy load today guys, we'll need to get it done" I didn't say anything.. but 1) We were the very people who dragged all of the stuff off of the semi's in the first place. Do we know it's there??? uh, hyeah. 2) It's not like we're having a party, all we do is receive all day, it's not like there's this mythical overdrive gear that we can magically get everything done in. 3) Did we really need to be stopped to be told that? Sometimes, Dilbert is really too close to the truth.

No comments: