Sunday, June 13, 2004

If the plane goes down... down, down... I will remember where the love was found.

So here's the thing. I had a fun "oh he's just my platonic friend" date this weekend. I want and saw Jason Mraz's "Curbside Prophets" show. Unbelieveable talent. Did dinner and such before hand where the highlights in conversation included:

"You know, I really wouldn't have any problems killing someone" -her

"You know, mormon girls really are very boring... I mean, what am I gonna do, talk about scrapbooking? Oh, present company excepted." - me

*someone throws a flower lei on stage, Jason puts it on the mike stand* "Oh cool, someone gave me a lei... it's been too long..." - Jason Mraz

*girl playing percussion comes up toward front, Jason puts the lei on her, someone in the crowd shouts* "HEY, THAT WASN'T FOR YOU!" -Mouthy Concert Girl.

I was also someone suprised to hear one of my favorite catch phrases "good times, good times" also used a bit by Jason Mraz. Of course, I take mind from "As Good As It Gets". I have no idea where he gets his from. The show itself was really good, I think my favorite song he played was "Flying My Guilt Over a Quilt", I've had it in my head most of the weekend. Spending time with Ashley always makes me think. It's kind of like spending time with a few of my other really high quality LDS women friends... Being around them gives me hope that perhaps there might be someone of the artistic and intellectual capacity that I crave wrapped up in a nice convinient LDS wrapper. Sometimes I wondered if I was going to have to "settle" or divorce my romantic pursuits from the interactions that I have with my closer friends. I guess I start to wonder what it is I lack. I suppose it's more of a rhetorical question, as my problems and faults are pretty well documented. But I guess I wonder what it is that makes us overlook people. I always wondered why Zannah and I never really tried anything (though there's more of a scheduling issue there, as we weren't ever single and on the same continent at the same time)... and it's not that I wish last night were some big romantic thing, or that I had one of my other friends realize I'm the best thing since saltines, it's just that when things are really good, I guess that which is missing just gets highlighted a little bit. It continued getting highlighted throughout the course of the weekend.

I didn't know I could be happy and lonely at the same time.

The last quote of the night comes from me (I'm so quotable): "All of us, we're on this earth for really such a very short time. Much to short for any of us to be casual with our love." I'm not sure what that means... but the words jump out at me now. Maybe it makes sense to you?

No comments: