Thursday, June 03, 2004

A new opportunity.

Had lunch with Skye today, and among other things, we discussed the offer she's made to me to manage part of her music career. It's a heady thing, because while I've never had difficulty accomplishing anything I've tried to do, this is someone else's dream. I never worry normally, because if something goes awry, I live with the consequences. With this, however, if I screw up, it's someone else's dream that suffers. Obviously the main answer is not to screw up. I'm looking forward to having an opportunity to focus my artistic energy on something real and living.

Rarely do I quote myself, but I said something at lunch that has kind of rattled around in my brain, like a BB in a spray paint can. Skye is uncomfortable I think about asking people to take on things just for her. I said something to the effect of, the reason any of us are going to be doing this Skye street team thing (www.skyepixton.com) and promoting her band is because we love her, and we want to make her dreams come true. Do any of us really care primarily about the music? I mean obviously it helps, but she could be trying to start a hip hop group, and if she believed in it as much as she does this, we'd want to help her.

How many of us do things because love is really our sole motivation? How many parties have we gone to, how many stupid choices have we endured, how many parents have we met out in the boonie end of Hermiston, Oregon because we love someone? I use the word love very loosely. I learned that from a girl name Cara when I was in high school. We hung out once or twice, and as I was dropping her off she gave me a big hug and told me that she loved me. I thought about it a lot then, and still do sometimes. We should tell people we love them more. I tend to wait till the timing is right with my friends, so it has meaning, and I think that's fine... but gosh, I know I'd feel a lot less lonely if I heard it more. I wonder how many other people would too?

No comments: