Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Becoming a better musician.

My friend Skye is starting another new musical project. I got the email about it today and started thinking about my own love of music. I play the bass, for those who don't know... and I'm incredibly mediocre at it, but I really love having a role to fill in making music. I marvel at the magic of creation that music brings. Music is a language to me. A language being a form of communication, a way to connect. A way to express myself. It is definitively used to express one's self, our feelings, and our messages.

I wonder.

How do I find people to make music with around here? Most LDS people I know that are musically inclined are occupied or get that deer in the headlights look when I suggest including me in their plans (yeah, I saw that look). Obviously, I need to practice more, so I can be a worthy addition to someone's band. Mostly, I just want to become more fluent at the language of music. Victor Wooten said, "Think about this. The English language has 26 letters in its alphabet. Our Music language only has 12. I'll let you do the math." Heady subject matter for 1am.

No comments: