Tuesday, May 18, 2004

A weekend in Vancouver, Canada.



I had never been to Vancouver, BC before, which was the perfect reason to go when the situation presented itself. Seven of us (Brice, Emily, Lumina, Jimmy, Michelle, Paul, and yours truly) made our way up at different points of the day on Saturday. Paul and I made pretty good time, and we gabbed the whole way up. Vancouver is an awesome town, as cool as Portland, as big as Seattle. We agreed we could be serious menaces there. There were tons of artsy stores and resturants all over the place, as well as a huge asian community and more clubs in a 5 block area than Portland has in the whole city. It was fun to just wander around and see the sights.

Saturday we got there, checked into the hotel, and then drove around the town to just see what's what, and had dinner late at this italian bistro place that had authentic italian style pizza cooked in a woodburning oven. Sunday we went to this open market kind of place, and watched the street performers. Then we went to Gastown, the "old town" and currently the "tourist trap" where we got panhandled a lot and eventually had dinner. Then we went down to the beach, where some of us were lazy, some threw the frisbee around, and eventually we had a campfire. I tried to get dinner at Wendys, only to be told the didn't accept Visa. Expletives followed. On Monday, Paul and I went and explored downtown, while Emily and Brice went and "hiked" and the others went sailing. We took off in the mid afternoon, had sushi in Seattle on our way back, and I got home last night around 10.

It was a weekend of thinking for me. Recent personal events made me want to get away and take a breather. Also, my parents have changed their opinion on what I should be doing with my life. Up until now they were of the opinion that I should be finding a nice entry level job and settle down. Being a bit tired of school, I thought it was an okay idea... but naturally finding that job and someone to settle down with are proving more problematic than I imagined. Out of the blue on Saturday the told me to think about what I'd want to do if I were to go back to school. And so I have been thinking. I'm fairly confused right now... not really sure what to do about it all.

No comments: